Effective January 1, 2019, the cost to ride the Dulles Toll Road will change to $3.25 at the Main Toll Plaza, and $1.50 on the ramps for 2-axle vehicles. Click here for more details and rates for vehicles in other classes.
How to Pay Tolls
The various types of toll lanes on the Dulles Toll Road and the types of payments accepted at each.
Various payment options are available when you arrive at a toll plaza on the Dulles Toll Road. The following describes each lane type and what forms of payment are accepted in each lane:
- E-ZPass Only: These are electronic toll collection lanes which allow you to drive at the posted speed without stopping. To use these lanes you must have an E-ZPass or E-ZPass Flex transponder. The appropriate toll amount will be debited from your prepaid account.
- Exact Change: This lane typically has a coin collection machine with or without a staffed toll booth. The machines will accept coins only, Dollar bills cannot be used for exact change. E-ZPass and E-ZPass Flex transponders are also accepted. When you have placed the full fare in the coin collection machine or your transponder signal has been received, the light ahead of you will change to green and you may pass through the lane.
- Full Service: These lanes have toll booths. The Main Plaza along the Toll Road is staffed 24/7 and the Ramp Plazas are staffed from 5:30am until 9:30pm. Cash (no bills larger than $20), exact change, E-ZPass and E-ZPass Flex are accepted. Debit and credit cards are not accepted. If you have exact change, you may place it directly in the collection machine. After staffed hours, this lane becomes Exact Change and exact fare is required.
Note: On the Dulles Toll Road, tolls are collected from "E-ZPass Flex" accounts regardless of whether the transponder's "HOV" switch is activated.
The following forms of payment are not accepted: bills over $20, checks, money orders, travelers checks, credit cards and foreign currency.
Key to signal lights within each toll collection lane:
- GREEN = Transaction was successfully recorded and you may GO or Proceed through the lane.
- YELLOW = Your E-ZPass account balance is low. If you are registered for automatic replenishment your account should be increased, however, you may want to contact the Customer Service Center at 1-877-762-7824 or click here to log in to your account.
- RED or BLUE = Full payment of the toll was not received. Please make sure you have paid the toll in full before leaving the lane or a toll violation will be issued. Click here to learn more.
**Please note that some EZ Pass Only lanes will flash blue before changing to a solid Green, Yellow or Blue. This is normal and does not in itself indicate a problem.**
For complete information about E-ZPass or to manage your account: